Water Damage Cleanup – What To Do
Emergency Water Damage Cleanup In California
It never fails here in Los Angeles CA, we always get several days in the year when we get a torrential down pour. It seems as if that is always the day the power goes out and the sump pump fails. Water restoration is a large part of restoration services provided by companies like ours. Many homeowners think that they can clean up water damage by themselves without thinking about how the dampness will affect the area. What many people don’t understand is that water can stick around and create mildew and mold. Even after it feels dry to the touch areas can still be damp. When not thoroughly dried through water restoration techniques, severe damage can occur.
If your home or business is affected by water damage the best first step is to call your insurance company and have a water cleanup company come out and assess the damage. Here are some tips to help you as a homeowner to help in the restoration of your home.
DO’S and DON’TS Of WATER DAMAGE CLEANUP
It cannot be overemphasized that water damage will usually require the services of a professional cleanup crew. Till such time, here are some things to do, and not to do:
1) The first step is to dehumidify the area. As long as the area is no longer submerged in water and has been cleared to be safe by an electrician you may start running dehumidifiers.
2) Open up the house and have fans circulating the dry air.
3) It is important to soak up as much water as you can. Use a mop or old towels to sop up as much water as you can. Blotting carpet is also an effective way to remove large quantities of water.
4) All furniture pieces should be dried off. Wood and fabric both should be thoroughly dried. Items such as cushions and knick knacks removed and safely stored until a professional has checked the furniture to make sure it has thoroughly dried. Remember the touch test does not work. Often furniture will feel dry to the touch because the surface is dry. This does not mean the inner parts are completely dry.
5) Wood blocks should be made that will be used to prop up furniture while it is drying. If you wrap the blocks in aluminum foil this prevents staining on carpet.
6) All floor coverings that are loose should be removed taken to a professional to be cleaned and dried. Bacteria will find a host in these areas and should be cleaned properly to prevent any bacteria from the flood water to grow and reproduce in your rugs.
7) All drapery should be lifted from the floor. If it has become wet it is best to take it down and allow a professional to clean them.
8) All furniture, cupboards and drawers that can be opened should be. It is important to let those areas thoroughly dry out by removing all the contents and letting them air out.
9) Books can be dried out by laying them out open and making sure the air is circulating in the area that they are drying in.
10) It is important not to use a normal household vacuum to remove the water. You will ruin your unit. It is best to leave the water extraction to the professionals. If you need to remove a small bit of standing water and it cannot be done with a mop or towel and wet/dry shop vacuum is the best tool for the job.
11) Electrical units should not be plugged in any area that is still wet or that has standing water.
12) Leave carpet that is tacked down in place. Professionals have equipment that can clean and dry your carpet thoroughly.
Damage can occur through water and bacteria settling in to your household items. Do not wait to call water restoration professionals in to your home to begin working on getting your home restored and functioning normal. Bacteria starts forming within minutes so it is important to call your insurance company and have them send someone out immediately to get your home dry. Water restoration professionals can ensure that your property is secured and restored.
Call Us Today (213) 297-5800 For First-Rate Water Cleanup In Riverside, LA, Ventura, Irvine
You cannot go wrong by hiring our water damage experts – simply call (213) 297-5800 and we will handle all your flood damage and water damage cleanup problems. We serve all of Los Angeles, Riverside, Ventura, Orange County